from my mom's pointy needle

(Too soon) after my mother passed away, my sister and I sorted through her sewing/stitching/crafting things. (She would never have said "stash." They were her "things.") Most of the quilting material and supplies and projects were in an old wooden chest my father had made for the boys' toys, and still are, only now the chest is in my sister's house. The rest of the sewing stuff came to live with me. I thought I had taken all the finished items and put them somewhere safe. Apparently I did, because after an hour in the back (HOT) room last night, I only found one piece. Boy, is it a doosie! Put on your shades, dear reader...




It is actually even brighter in person.


This has to be something she purchased on a trip to Pennsylvania Dutch Country. I think those birds are distlefinks, and the colors and stylization seems very much like the "hex signs" from that area. It has masking tape on the edges (horrors! but it is what we did in the 70s), but doesn't appear to be stained, only dingy from time.

With luck, I'll remember where I stored her beautiful Jacobean work. I even think there are some Elsa Williams designs that she finished... I know there are some unfinished (and never started) kits in the container where I found this eye-catching piece.


1 comment:

Rissa said...

I actually LIKE this piece!